Daisy Gatsby

"Your wife doesn't love you," said Gatsby. "She's never loved you. She loves me."

"You must be crazy!" exclaimed Tom automatically.

Gatsby sprang to his feet, vivid with excitement.

"She never loved you, do you hear?" he cried. "She only married you because I was poor and she was tired of waiting for me. It was a terrible mistake, but in her heart, she never loved anyone except me!"

"She does, though. The problem is that sometimes she gets foolish ideas in her head and doesn't know what she's doing. And what's more, I love Daisy too."

Gatsby walked over and stood beside her.

"Daisy, just tell him the truth - that you never loved him - and it's all wiped out forever," he said earnestly.

"I never loved him," she said without hesitation.

The words seemed to bite physically into Tom.

"I want to speak to Daisy alone," he insisted. "She's all excited now -"

"Even alone, I can't say I loved you," she admitted in a pitiful voice. "It wouldn't be true."

"Of course it wouldn't," agreed Gatsby.

No one moved or made a sound for a good two minutes,

Then, as though finally relieved, Daisy and Gatsby smiled faintly, and were gone, without a word, snapped out, isolated, like ghosts, even from our pity.

After a moment, Tom got up and started walking towards the door.

Jordan and I were still having a little trouble taking in everything. We never realized that four simple words could wreck a marriage, leave a child with a single parent, and ruin a family's reputation and status.


A letter from Gatsby to Nick after two years have passed:

Dear Nick,

    It seems as if I haven't seen you in a lifetime, I think about you often. I would love to ask you "How have you been?", "What's new in life?", and "Do you ever miss me?" I am truly sorry that Daisy and I had to take off so suddenly without telling anyone. You have no idea how many times I have thought about coming back to West Egg. By the way, we currently live in Chicago. Daisy loves it here. But occasionally she misses Pamela. But otherwise, everything else has been great so far. Only yesterday we bought a dog. Daisy and I were on one of our usual walks, and she saw a pet store right across the street. She insisted that we go take a look, so I agreed. As soon as we walked into the store, she demanded that we buy the dog that was sitting right in front of us. I was a little shocked since I thought she hated dogs or any pet for that matter, but however, bought the dog for her. I forgot to mention that we got married last summer. Everything still feels like a dream. I have since left the 'bootlegging business' and now run a prestigious company. Everything is looking good for me old sport, and I hope that it's the same for you.

Sincerely,

Jay Gatsby


Comments

  1. I like how your version gives what it would be like if Daisy accepted Gatsby. This was written really well and I like the fact that you added a letter at the end as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What if Daisy had Instagram?

Acknowledgements

The eyes of T.J. Eckleburg