Journal Writing

I used to look at Legos and wonder, Why are they made specifically for either boys or girls? What was their reasoning behind it? Let's be honest: Legos are extremely overpriced sets that are useless if you misplace a single piece. The toys are also terrible: you can't play with them, and they fall apart. Also, if you finish building a set, you are done with them. They're too boring to build again. What's also annoying is that there is one and only one way to build the set, even if you try to build something new, the pieces fall apart. And the worst thing is when you step on a piece. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes here. I loved Lego. Secretly, I still believe that Legos are very fun to build. But the question that comes to mind is, Why were they made specifically for either boys or girls? Because making a set with which everyone can play makes more sense. Why go to all the trouble to make different sets for different people? I get that they wanted a target audience, so their toys would sell more. But doesn't this conform to the stereotypes against gender? When I read the more recent articles released by Lego, I was happy to hear that Lego was no longer going to label any of its products "for girls" or "for boys". This is good because Lego's toys don't reinforce gender stereotypes anymore and empower children and society at large.




Comments

  1. I used to wonder the same thing when I was younger. I had a LEGO Friends set and I liked it a lot but felt like that was all I could build from LEGO because this was for girls while the more complex sets were for guys. It's nice to hear that they stopped taking part in stereotyping because it affected the way I acted and other kids.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What if Daisy had Instagram?

Acknowledgements

The eyes of T.J. Eckleburg